AmCham Abu Dhabi is a prominent organization tasked with strengthening business opportunities between the United States and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E). In this blog, I will cover information on the history, activities and membership of AmCham Abu Dhabi, which is a member of the global network of American Chambers of Commerce.
Objectives of AmCham Abu Dhabi
Beginning in 1986, AmCham Abu Dhabi's goal has been to promote commerce and investment and strengthen relationships between the United States, chamber members, Abu Dhabi and the greater U.A.E. It is a not-for-profit trade association, independently run. Members are comprised of Fortune 500 corporations, small and medium-sized enterprises and distinguished business leaders and entrepreneurs.
AmCham provides a platform through which companies can discuss their needs and issues, which helps enhance and develop business opportunities between the U.S. and U.A.E. Members receive many benefits including:
- Government advocacy programs
- Educational programs
- Networking opportunities
- Customized business services
According to AmCham Abu Dhabi's website, "AmCham Abu Dhabi has become the recognized voice of U.S. business in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates."
AmCham Abu Dhabi Membership
The organization is run by an Executive Director and professional staff. The Board of Directors, elected annually, includes four officers, 11 members and three honorary members.
Board of Directors for 2016-2017
- Sharief Fahmy, Chairman. Chief Executive Officer at Middle East General Enterprises
- Christopher Davis, Vice Chairman. Country Leader and President, Raytheon International Inc., U.A.E.
- Peter Rafferty, Treasurer. Senior Fund Manager at Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA)
- John McGowan, Secretary. Legal Counsel and Founder at JPM Legal Advisors Worldwide Ltd.
- Khuloud Al Nuwais. Chief Sustainability Officer at Emirates Foundation
- Nasser Al Osaiba. Managing Partner at Global Advocacy and Legal Counsel
- Sana Bagersh. CEO at BrandMoxie
- Peter Christensen. Associate Vice Chancellor, Finance & Planning and CFO at New York University Abu Dhabi
- Wesley Covell. Vice President, Middle East Business Development at Harris Corporation
- Robert S. Harward. Chief Executive Officer, U.A.E. at Lockheed Martin Global, Inc.
- Tomislav Mihaljevic, MD. Chief Executive Officer at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi
- Timothy J. Richards. Managing Director Government Affairs and Policy at General Electric
- Elias Sayah. President at Sayah Engineering MENA
- Maurice Wingo. Director Marketing and Commercial at Dolphin Energy as Occidental Petroleum Senior Representative
- Dareen Zoughbi. Founder and CEO at Nadereen Consultancy
- The Honorable Barbara Leaf. Ambassador of the United States of America to the United Arab Emirates U.S. Embassy, Abu Dhabi
- H.E. Yousef Al Otaiba. Ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to the United States of America U.A.E. Embassy, Washington D.C.
- Danny E. Sebright. President at U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is the world's largest business federation representing the interests of more than three million businesses, state and local chambers and industry associations. The Chamber's core purpose is to fight for free enterprise before Congress, the White House, regulatory agencies, the courts, the court of public opinion, and governments around the world.
The Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry are private sector representatives working to advocate policies, connect businesses and expand member opportunities, with an aim to contribute to Abu Dhabi's sustainable economic development.
AmCham MENA includes Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. Their objective is increased member collaboration and cooperation and to promote greater business opportunities between the U.S. and the MENA region.
The U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council is a business advocacy organization committed to the advancement of the bilateral trade and investment relationship between the U.S. and the U.A.E.
Organizations like AmCham Abu Dhabi are great for developing business relationships and opportunities between U.S. and U.A.E companies. It allows businesses to gain a real understanding of the cultural and language differences in the business environment, as well as an understanding of the issues impacting U.S. companies operating in the U.A.E.
Further Resources on Language, Culture and Global Business
Globalization Partners International (GPI) has extensive experience localizing marketing materials, technical documents, and large, scalable websites. We have previously posted a number of useful guides for best practices in this area. Feel free to review our blogs that are particularly relevant:
- Arabic Language Translation eBook
- Identifying Target Audiences for Arabic Translation
- Translating Arabic Speaking Countries: United Arab Emirates
- What Are the Differences Between Arabic Languages?
- Saudi Arabia's Online Market
Please feel free to contact GPI at email@example.com with any questions about our language and technology services. Also let us know if you have any interesting blog topics you would like us to cover in our future blogs. You may request a complimentary Translation Quote for your projects.
About the Author
Global Account Services Manager. Sakina is originally from Azerbaijan and is now living and working in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. She fluently speaks 5 languages including Azeri, Russian, Turkish, English and Chinese. In high school, she was an exchange student in Alabama, United States of America. She graduated from Baku State University, faculty of Oriental Studies (China). She has 8 years’ experience in different fields of Business Development, Office Management, Translation and Teaching. She has worked in international companies owned by Chinese, Turkish and British firms, providing her diverse experience with different cultures and business protocols and customs. She has solid experience as well in sales, researching, customer relations and business planning. She is a proud mother of 2 year old baby-girl. In her free time she enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading and playing outdoors.More Content by Sakina Sultanova