In July 2016, American eBay sellers will have access to African ecommerce consumers thanks to a new partnership between eBay and online shopping startup MallforAfrica.com. The goal is to connect people through commerce, wherever they may be.
The partnership will result in a new eBay-powered platform, eBay.MallforAfrica.com. It will first be open to Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana in 2016, with other African countries following in the future.
eBay Business Development Director, Fernando Saiz says, "The platform will enable inventory from all eBay U.S. individual and business sellers with a 300+ star rating to be purchased by buyers in Nigeria and Kenya."
Highlights of the deal include:
- The proprietary platform acts as a digital broker and logistics manager between U.S. retailers and African ecommerce consumers.
- MallforAfrica has financial backing from UK private equity firm Helios Investment Partners and a partnership with Macy's.
- MallforAfrica's platform will handle logistics and payments for eBay products, accepting local and digital payments from partners Paga in Nigeria and M-Pesa in Kenya, payments will go back to eBay sellers in dollars.
- MallforAfrica has its own product processing center in Portland, Oregon.
To read more, please see: Expanding in Africa, eBay partners with MallForAfrica.com
Additional Resources on Africa and African Language Translation
In order to support the growing needs of our clients for many of the African and Middle Eastern languages, GPI has opened offices in Dubai, UAE and Cairo, Egypt to support our clients doing business in the Middle East and Africa. GPI has built teams of professional native speakers for many of the African languages whether national or indigenous, who are available to help companies with their African language translations needs.
Feel free to review our blogs and eBooks that are particularly relevant:
- Language and Locale eBook Series
- Translation and Localization for Africa: Eritrea
- Translation and Localization for Africa: Algeria
- Translation and Localization for Africa: Republic of the Congo
- Translation and Localization for Africa: Republic of Djibouti
- From Algeria to Zimbabwe - eCommerce on the African Continent
- International Business: Egypt
Please feel free to contact GPI at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about our translation services. Also let us know if you have any interesting blog topics you would like us to cover in future blogs. You may also request a complimentary Translation Quote for your projects as well.
About the Author
Director, Global Accounts. Peter has over 18 years’ experience in business development within the localization industry supporting clients for documentation, software and website globalization services. He started his career in the translation industry in 1995 and over the years has worked for several leading localization service providers including LMI, Berlitz, Welocalize, GPI and Beyondsoft. Throughout his career Peter has led by example and always put his clients’ needs first to ensure client expectations are understood and successfully met. Over the years Peter has trained extensively in Solution Selling, Action Selling and Localization Sales, Testing and Project Management. Peter handles many of GPI’s global accounts helping educate clients on GPI’s comprehensive suite of globalization services and industry best practices.More Content by Peter Betts